On my way home through town I spotted some really lovely beach towels in a shop window. They were bright ice lolly colours and the summer motifs got my juices going. My daughters have both grown out of their towelling robes / dressing gowns recently and these seemed the perfect solution – bright and gorgeous and not too costly and, in my head at least, robes are only a series of rectangles…..
As I worked without a pattern I thought I’d try and show some sort of tutorial, so bear with me:
Smallest daughter decided these mouthwatering brights were just her thing – the stripe is for the front and the green for the back and sleeves. The towels had fancy edges too, so the first thing I did was remove them for use as edgings.
I was working without a pattern, as I said, but I figured the front must be in two bits, so in half went the striped towel
I sewed these ‘fronts’ to a green ‘back’ at the shoulder, leaving a gap where I was going to make a V neck. I then guesstimated the armhole size and sewed up the sides. Because the towels were different, I decided that binding could bring it together – so I used the green towel’s edge to bind the front edges, creating the V at the same time.
Next it was the sleeves. Another guess – though robe sleeves are just a rectangle on a drop shoulder – I inserted the sleeve and bound the raw cuff end with the multi-towel’s fancy edge.
The towels are pretty long, but I wanted to make sure youngest daughter had length as she gets taller (which happens daily…). So I folded a deep hem and sewed it on the machine.
I added a hanging tag at the neck, two pockets (made from patchworked stripey edge), belt loops, as well as a belt from leftover edging. Of course this also sports a Buntyboo brag label.
As you can see, youngest daughter will be wearing this robe until she’s 30, but I’m pleased with it and, more importantly, she loves it – though she’s already bored with people singing selections from ‘Joseph’ at her…. 😀