Last week at Guides we started to make plate bags for camp – for those of you who don’t do Guides, this is the drawstring P.E. type bag you keep your plate, bowl, mug and cutlery in.
I bought very cheaply, two second hand sheets which I cut into A3 (or there abouts) size pieces. The girls tied knots or used rubber bands to hold a variety of twists and turns in their fabric, before leaving them in a dye bath for the duration of the meeting (we also attempted to make kaleidoscopes that night).
I got home and put them through a rinse cycle in my washing machine. Undoing them elicited a lot of admiring oohs and ahs from me – they were all so different-everything from classic tie dye circles to stripes and beautiful feathery patterns.
I can’t wait to show them at our next meeting – though I’m a little trepidatious about the next bit…sewing by hand 😀 I may not be the most popular Guider that evening!
I have always liked the idea that the fabrics we use in our everyday lives carry more meaning than their function. Patchwork quilts are the prime example of this; using pieces of fabric that come from worn clothing. Pieces that are representative of others past and present.
With this in mind I have used the fabric from the top I wore to get married in to make a cushion; a long overdue keepsake – I’ve been married five and a half years now and the top has been in pretty constant use for three of those – using the heart shaped cushion that my grandmother made me when I was a teenager. See…two sets of past making a present and future item.
I got married in a black trouser suit (I always said I would and no-one believed me)with this black and white top. The cushion used to have a very boudoir-esque red cover with black lace edging, which has long since gone to the charity shop.
I cut the bottom portion off the top and sewed the back and front pieces together to make a squarer piece of fabric, before drawing round the cushion, adding a seam allowance.
I found a piece of black material in my stash-an old dress given to me by my sister-in-law and cut out the two back pieces with added length for the overlap.
I finished the straight edges of the black pieces and then sewed the pieces, right sides facing, together before clipping the curves and turning right side out
and here it is – my wedding/grandma keepsake cushion. I’ve considered doing this for at least 2 of the years I’ve been married and it took me 45 minutes to make!
I went to make a sandwich the other day and I was about to curse Oldest daughter for not tidying up after her cheese and ketchup toastie when, on closer inspection, I realised the splot she’d left behind was actually a beautifully stylised bird. So cute
It’s been a weird old week. I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about sewing and spent more time in my local haberdashery than normal too – writing this blog has really helped me up my game in terms of bringing creativity to the front of my brain. My family may tell you that dinners have been less imaginative and Mum is less attentive than usual, but I’m putting that down to adjustment…it’ll all balance out.
I’m working on week three’s project for the Runway Refashion Challenge and I was so excited to see that my ‘week two:Denim’ gilet made it onto the Renengade Seamstress’s sewalong page WooHoo! check it out here http://chicenvelopements.wordpress.com/2013/06/21/refashion-runway-denim-sewalong/
The only completed thing so far this week though has been two bow clips – part of a gift for my daughter’s friend. I love making these. they are so cute and very simple.
I’m now officially on holiday from work as the College term has ended. Oh the plans I’m making!
I was a bit nervous of this week’s challenge because I don’t wear skirts particularly and, as I wanted to make something I would wear I had to go down the jacket route. I also thought I had a LOT of demin as I had been saving all my old jeans, but when I went to my stash I remembered I’d cut 85% of it into tea plate sized circles for patchwork…
Ah well. Working with the one pair of denim jeans and the black/teal corduroys I had plus some fabric left over from cutting a sale buy Monsoon dress into a top, I used a 1970’s safari jacket pattern for the basic cutting out of pieces. I was pleased to get all the bits I needed from the fabric I had – achieved mainly because I decided to shorten the jacket and leave the sleeves off!
I put it together and discovered it was far too boxy for me, so spent a considerable amount of time adjusting, darting, recutting armholes and basically fitting it to me.
I have some hand sewing to do still and I’m considering what to put on the front – can’t decide whether to put buttons on, add some bling in place of buttons or leave it plain. I also think that it really needs lining to cover up all the adjustments inside, but other than that I’m pleased with it 😀
Oldest daughter, still growing at a rate of knots, found recently that her 2 nighties had shrunk to hip length.
Inspired by Diary of a MadMama’s ice-cream striped dress from week one of the Refashion Runway Challenge, I cut them up into sections and sewed them back together to make one longer nightie. I’m pleased with the end result and oldest daughter’s happy too. Win win!
Last night, husband an I went out for a lovely meal with some people we haven’t seen for many years – they live in Australia and are back for their hols. I decided to jazz my nails for occasion and I’ve coveted the coloured nail tip look for a while.
You need a steady hand but I think I managed ok 🙂