Continuing on the theme of the month, the repair and upcycling basket, next on the agenda was a handbag I bought in a second hand shop in the summer.
I needed a little handbag while I was on holiday, just to hold the old purse, phone, keys and specs and I found one for less than £5. Ok it was khaki and it had HOOCH embroidered on it, but it did the job for the week away.
When I came home my bigger and much loved usual handbag broke. Aaaargh! Since September I have been using my summer purchase (and starting to really dislike the embroidery and the useless flappy inside pocket) so I decided to do something about it.
Here it is pre scissors and unpicker…
It took me quite a while to get rid of the embroidery, but I persevered because I wanted to use some iron on transfers I had. I also took great pleasure in cutting out the useless flappy pocket.
I chose tree and plaid motifs that went with the khaki and followed the instructions very carefully, because I am apt to rush… As you can see I was successful.
I was going to buy some co-ordinating ribbon to rebind the edges, but during January Challenge 2 I rifled through a forgotten bias binding stash and serendipitously found the perfect colour for my bag too. Result!
I am pleased with it overall; the colours work well and the binding really pulled it together – I’d still rather have my old, bigger bag though… 😦