I am supposed to be sorting paperwork, but as I was up as early as usual, I have spent 2 hours finally making the laptop case that’s been in my head since Christmas.
I had been carrying my little laptop round in a padded envelope for a while and I thought to myself, ‘why not make a case from it?’
Of course, lovely as padded envelopes are, I am a fancy fabric girl and ( a shock to you I know) I had kept a dress of my daughter’s, (already upcycled from Lovely Husband’s Great Aunt’s skirt) that she had grown out of. The fabric was too gorgeous to give up so I decided to use it for this project.
I discovered some co-ordinating lining fabric in my stash and basically made a pillow case to slot the opened up envelopes into. Then I folded and sewed the edges together and turned it right side out to make a pretty padded envelope before topstitching some of the edges to hold them in place. A piece of elastic I’d saved from the waistband of a garment too worn to give away was perfect for holding the flap closed and to finish off I raided my braid box.
The bonus is that my little laptop can no longer lurk in dark places, laughing at me while I search for it – this bright wrapping will make it easy to find!!
I have a house full of notebooks.
Ok that is a bit of an overstatement, but I certainly possess a lot of notebooks because I can’t resist buying them whether I need one right now or not PLUS I can’t let a free one pass me by.
Is there a word for stationery fetish? I am certainly suffering from it…
In a bid to save some money and use up my stock I had a good look through and decided that part of the reason I am not choosing to use some of them immediately is because they are not the most beautiful notebooks in the pile. I decided to give them a makeover!
I was using duct tape recently for another craft project and thought to myself, ‘ I know I could use a bit for this!’
Here are the results:
this one was hardback – I simply added a band of orange, some Sharpie patterns and orange paper ends inside.
This one I strengthened the cover of as it was just a paper front. On top of the weighting I used duct tape to go round the whole book – even over the spiral binding which I had covered with an old advertising leaflet. It still opens and shuts well and looks much more appealing!
I almost can’t wait for my current notebook to be finished 🙂
I just wanted to show this off as I was very pleased with myself. Lovely husband bought his Aunt flowers recently – various packs of different types from the supermarket.
I hand tied them, glammed them up in tissue paper and added some baubly things I was given in a bunch of flowers on another occasion – they had been awaiting their second ta-da moment on my kitchen window sill for some time 🙂
Auntie was happy.
Youngest daughter went to a Minion themed party last night. I think they stuffed themselves with pizza and popcorn and had a Despicable Me fest, but for a gift my daughter and I drew these little canvases for the birthday girl:
As luck would have it I had saved the bright yellow gift bag Youngest Daughter got from the Big Brownie Birthday bash in the summer and we turned it into a minion gift bag:
Job’s a good ‘un 🙂
I was tidying my bedroom today and I came across an old handbag mirror. It still opened and shut but the silver outside was horribly tarnished, so I got my nail varnish out and prettied it up.
I will use some proper varnish to try and protect it, but however long it lasts, it looks so much more attractive now!
I have continued to have a lovely time going through my make do and mend box and now own several more wearable pairs of trousers and shorts after some mending and cutting – it’s amazing how easily you forget what you own when the items are languishing out of sight.
In amongst the waiting items were two of Lovely Husband’s old grey t-shirts. He had a habit of buying lots of the same item in the past which turned out to be great for me when he put them out for the second hand bag.
With Oldest Daughter on her summer holiday earlier than Youngest Daughter I decided to find her something creative to do, so I gave her a heart shaped stamp, some fabric paint and the t-shirts (with cardboard inside) and told her to stamp away.
When the pattern was dry and ironed to fix, I used the t-shirts as fabric to make her a new summer dress. I literally laid her favourite dress onto the t-shirt; first the top half (adding a few inches as she is ever-growing)
and then the skirt part onto the second t-shirt. I had to wiggle it about here to make it fit, so the swish is slightly less, but it still works.
I then simply sewed the pieces together and hemmed the skirt, neck and armholes.
As you can see it looks pretty and fits well. I think oldest daughter is pleased.