It seems faintly ridiculous that it has taken me time over two Fridays to make a basic cushion cover. My excuse is that I had to unpick a skirt first.
I bought some beautiful grass green chenille cushions to update my lounge recently. They will look gorgeous on my brown leather sofas, but I also have a plum coloured chair and I wanted something co-ordinating, but not the same for it. I could find nothing in the cushion shop, so I dropped in to the British Heart Foundation opposite and this skirt caught my eye.
At £3.99 it was a bargain for a skirt (although sadly not my size and I’ve already spoken about my love/hate relationship with pastels…), but the embroidery colour was a perfect match for the green cushions and the pattern made it a co-ordinating piece – just what I was after!
It took me a good couple of hours to unpick the skirt completely; taking out the zip and lining, taking off the waistband and releasing the godets. I then sewed up the seams, ensuring I ended up with a straight piece of material to use for the cover.
I used an old pillow folded into a cushion shape for the inside and, right sides in, lined up the overlap and sewed the side seams. It’s the simplest form of cushion cover, but I am very pleased with the result. Here it is on the plum chair, but I am not allowing it’s use until the room is decorated! Guess what my next job is.
I have left over 6 godet pieces, a full cotton lining and an embroidered stripe waistband. These will not be wasted and I will be showcasing what I do with them in the coming posts. Bet you can’t wait!!