the finished piece
This jumper dress from New Look came out of a bag of clothes my niece was throwing out. I have worn it, but it is a little too snug and being of average height, it is one of those pieces of clothing that doesn’t really do anything for me. It also has a diamante anchor motif right on the breast – not good.
However I thought the knitted fabric was nice and that it would make a lovely little cardigan, so I challenged myself to ‘make it so’!
First I cut off the bottom of the dress, just under the anchor. Next, I laid the top half on it and judged where to cut the arm holes. With those cut, I cut the sleeves off the original top, along with the neck edge and then used the neck edge to draw a new neckline on the bottom piece. I folded the new garment in half to find the centre front and cut the front open to make it into a cardigan.
Now I just had to put it back together: shoulder seams, sleeves back in and then a blue spotted ribbon from my stash to bind the front and the neck.
I am very happy with the resulting edge to edge cardi – it was deserving of a Buntyboo brag label and I am looking forward to wearing it tomorrow – with a navy blue t-shirt, not this grey one!!
I had within easy reach a pair of needles, an oddment of wool and a pattern – how could I resist a quick knit?
Cast on twelve stitches, garter stitch approximately 25 rows, cast off, fold in half, sew, stuff, sew and add a face.
Please Welcome, Oz Owl.
the necessary ‘before’ shot
new look cardi sporting one of my Buntyboo labels
See, just having to write this has already made a difference!
Yesterday I took a sad and lonely old wool friend, that I bought in Edinburgh in around 1995, out of my jumper drawer-we hadn’t been out much together for a long time even though it’s been pretty cold for the UK recently, and I revamped it into a Chanelesque cardigan. We are now planning many late winter/early Spring outings!
It was much easier than I thought to cut it up and use my sewing machine on the knit fabric of this wool jumper. I stay stitched where I was going to cut before I took the plunge with the scissors and then I bound the raw edges with strips of a remnant of fabric that I’ve had in my fabric stash for almost the same length of time! They were a perfect match for one another – the jumper is a heather/soft grey marl and the fabric a darker grey silk effect finely shot through with gold, red, blue and green.
I liked it so much I added one of my ‘brag-labels’ and I am wearing it today!