I thought, as I had tidied my craft space, I would get the sewing machine out of it’s hidey hole and into use.
It makes a bit of a rattle on the table so the first thing I wanted to make this year was a mat to go underneath it.
With my upcycling challenge in mind, I got out all the smallish scraps I had from old clothes and donated bits of cloth. I looked around for a template and found a handy square envelope, then I got to work cutting 12 squares for the top of my mat.
Then as neatly as I could, given all the different fabric types and my tendency to rush, I sewed the squares together 3 x 4.
This fitted neatly under my machine and then I had a brainwave. In my stash had a piece of practice quilting from a class I took some years ago (it’s the wiggly embroidery on the right there). I added this to the end of the piece, to make a place to stick pins, lay scissors etc.
I used an old fleece blanket for the filler and the legs of lovely husband’s trousers (left over from making them into shorts!) for the backing. I pinned carefully and then sewed simple lines through all the layers.
Delving into my sewing box I found an unremembered selection of bias binding inherited from lovely husband’s great aunt. I trimmed the edges with this and now I have a beautiful quilted mat that stops my machine being noisy and holds my pins while I sew.
other January challenge posts : darn it! January challenge 1