Continuing on the theme of the month, the repair and upcycling basket, next on the agenda was a handbag I bought in a second hand shop in the summer.
I needed a little handbag while I was on holiday, just to hold the old purse, phone, keys and specs and I found one for less than £5. Ok it was khaki and it had HOOCH embroidered on it, but it did the job for the week away.
When I came home my bigger and much loved usual handbag broke. Aaaargh! Since September I have been using my summer purchase (and starting to really dislike the embroidery and the useless flappy inside pocket) so I decided to do something about it.
Here it is pre scissors and unpicker…
It took me quite a while to get rid of the embroidery, but I persevered because I wanted to use some iron on transfers I had. I also took great pleasure in cutting out the useless flappy pocket.
I chose tree and plaid motifs that went with the khaki and followed the instructions very carefully, because I am apt to rush… As you can see I was successful.
I was going to buy some co-ordinating ribbon to rebind the edges, but during January Challenge 2 I rifled through a forgotten bias binding stash and serendipitously found the perfect colour for my bag too. Result!
I am pleased with it overall; the colours work well and the binding really pulled it together – I’d still rather have my old, bigger bag though… 😦
I was a bit nervous of this week’s challenge because I don’t wear skirts particularly and, as I wanted to make something I would wear I had to go down the jacket route. I also thought I had a LOT of demin as I had been saving all my old jeans, but when I went to my stash I remembered I’d cut 85% of it into tea plate sized circles for patchwork…
Ah well. Working with the one pair of denim jeans and the black/teal corduroys I had plus some fabric left over from cutting a sale buy Monsoon dress into a top, I used a 1970’s safari jacket pattern for the basic cutting out of pieces. I was pleased to get all the bits I needed from the fabric I had – achieved mainly because I decided to shorten the jacket and leave the sleeves off!
I put it together and discovered it was far too boxy for me, so spent a considerable amount of time adjusting, darting, recutting armholes and basically fitting it to me.
I have some hand sewing to do still and I’m considering what to put on the front – can’t decide whether to put buttons on, add some bling in place of buttons or leave it plain. I also think that it really needs lining to cover up all the adjustments inside, but other than that I’m pleased with it 😀
the finished piece
This jumper dress from New Look came out of a bag of clothes my niece was throwing out. I have worn it, but it is a little too snug and being of average height, it is one of those pieces of clothing that doesn’t really do anything for me. It also has a diamante anchor motif right on the breast – not good.
However I thought the knitted fabric was nice and that it would make a lovely little cardigan, so I challenged myself to ‘make it so’!
First I cut off the bottom of the dress, just under the anchor. Next, I laid the top half on it and judged where to cut the arm holes. With those cut, I cut the sleeves off the original top, along with the neck edge and then used the neck edge to draw a new neckline on the bottom piece. I folded the new garment in half to find the centre front and cut the front open to make it into a cardigan.
Now I just had to put it back together: shoulder seams, sleeves back in and then a blue spotted ribbon from my stash to bind the front and the neck.
I am very happy with the resulting edge to edge cardi – it was deserving of a Buntyboo brag label and I am looking forward to wearing it tomorrow – with a navy blue t-shirt, not this grey one!!