So, today was the Spot’s Birthday Party workshop at the theatre – 25 children aged 2-6 which is enough to strike terror into the stoutest of hearts.
Luckily my friend Emma has a small child magic about her and can control large swathes of them with just her voice and a selection of songs and games. In between we got them to handprint Spot, make bunting and party hats, decorate tin cans with sunflowers and plant seeds in them as well as decorate and eat a cupcake. We also painted their faces as lions, snakes or penguins and in true Spot tradition searched for his friends around the theatre for a ‘bingo’ game.
As always it was a noisy, happy, messy two hours.
I only have a couple of pictures to show for it, but if you are in the South East Essex area and want to see the show ‘Spot’s Birthday Party’ I’ve added the link at the bottom of the blog page.
the sunflower pot filled with compost and sunflower seed
Our Spot set ready for children to have their photos taken – apologies for terrible picture!
My challenge week is officially over! Thanks for your encouragements.
I truly went for ‘making time to create’ this week. While it was harder some days than others and a real test of my resolve I am happy with the outcome.
It’s not a standard working week for me,though essentially all that means is that I didn’t go out to work and I didn’t have Guides – everything else stayed the same. Its good to know it’s possible to fit in creativity in any form every day.
Honestly though, once or twice a week would be enough!
Before I begin on todays ‘make’ I thought I’d update those who are kind enough to follow my exploits regarding my revamped swimming costume. I took it up and down the pool tonight and it survived and supported me superbly for 28 lengths! I’m very pleased with it.
Yesterday I couldn’t upload my Spot drawing, but today I have the wherewithal:
Spot the Dog-supersized.
I also drew some of his friends for a game:
Today though I got my sewing machine out and my daughter and I tried to make her a vest top from a piece of chiffon she bought a few weeks ago. It is flourescent pink!
As you can see from the pics below we used another vest as a pattern:
laying out our ‘pattern’ and cutting out
The front and back with slightly different necklines
I was foiled however by the sewing – I tried my overlocker and managed 2/3 of the picot edging before it stopped working. My daughter tried her machine and it wouldn’t sew without knotting up and then my machine decided that it would zigzag, but not straight stitch and then it wouldn’t do anything!
I felt like perhaps today wasn’t supposed to be about creating…..
I nearly gave up, but in the end I hand sewed it sufficiently to allow my daughter to try it on. It needs more stitching so, if anyone knows anything about sewing chiffon that they think I should know, PLEASE pass that knowledge on 😀
I think, when it’s done it will be a great summer wear. I’ll let you know if we solve it!
Easter ‘make’ a day – Day Five: a Spot for the workshop
Not wanting to miss a day in my challenge, but with the internet connection on my phone being dodgy and not being able to find a camera, I am afraid I have to give you the cover of a book – for now.
On Thursday my friend and I are running a pre-school workshop for the children’s show ‘Spot’s Birthday Party’. We have all sorts of creative things planned for 2-6 year olds and one of those is a large Spot drawing that they colour in with their painted hand prints.
The Spot I have drawn is almost as big as my youngest daughter and he will be part of a final scene set with birthday bunting (made by the children) in which each child can be photographed for posterity by their parent.
Hopefully I will have a photo of the finished product for you later this week!
Tomorrow (Wednesday) I am getting the sewing machine out. Watch this space…