Before I begin on todays ‘make’ I thought I’d update those who are kind enough to follow my exploits regarding my revamped swimming costume. I took it up and down the pool tonight and it survived and supported me superbly for 28 lengths! I’m very pleased with it.
Yesterday I couldn’t upload my Spot drawing, but today I have the wherewithal:
Spot the Dog-supersized.
I also drew some of his friends for a game:
Today though I got my sewing machine out and my daughter and I tried to make her a vest top from a piece of chiffon she bought a few weeks ago. It is flourescent pink!
As you can see from the pics below we used another vest as a pattern:
laying out our ‘pattern’ and cutting out
The front and back with slightly different necklines
I was foiled however by the sewing – I tried my overlocker and managed 2/3 of the picot edging before it stopped working. My daughter tried her machine and it wouldn’t sew without knotting up and then my machine decided that it would zigzag, but not straight stitch and then it wouldn’t do anything!
I felt like perhaps today wasn’t supposed to be about creating…..
I nearly gave up, but in the end I hand sewed it sufficiently to allow my daughter to try it on. It needs more stitching so, if anyone knows anything about sewing chiffon that they think I should know, PLEASE pass that knowledge on 😀
I think, when it’s done it will be a great summer wear. I’ll let you know if we solve it!
I have to tell you from the outset that I suffer from a fair quantity of boobage.
Whilst this is ok and sometimes even attractive when well strapped and supported, in a standard swimming costume it simply takes on a life of its own.
The reason I am sharing this somewhat personal information is that I recently went back to swimming lengths as a form of exercise. I hadn’t swum for some time and needed a new cossie, which I bought at a well known sports discount store, as I didn’t have £50+ to spend on one made with proper bra sizes. The down side of this purchase was the generic fit – well and good in all aspects bar the bust.
I have, incidentally and it turns out serendipitously, been tidying the room that purports to be my bedroom. I have my suspicions that it has been replaced by the cupboard under the stairs while I slept, it’s so full of STUFF. However, in amongst the piles I found an old moulded-cup bra – a little soft and saggy, a little too well worn – and I decided to marry it to my cossie!
My lovely daughter pinned me into the two items and having managed to get it off again without spearing myself, I have sewn one to the other. It’s not the sexiest cossie in the world, but now at least I can tell my bosom from my waistline, which is always a plus…and I’m looking forward to trying it out at the pool this week.
cossie with support-you can see the black straps sewn to the blue costume